Re: publish a new Working Draft of DOM Core; comment deadline March 2

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:15:25 +0100, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> I will remove my objection to publish DOM Core if: 1) conflicts (rather
> than extensions) are removed from the draft, or reconciled with changes
> in DOM3 Events; and 2) for those changes that have broad consensus, we
> can integrate them into DOM3 Events, which means that the changes should
> be sent as comments on DOM3 Events, to be discussed by the group and
> their current status determined.

I am fine with raising issues to be discussed (and I am planning on doing
so), but do we really need to resolve them before proceeding with
publication? Is having a clear warning at the start of the "Events"
section not sufficient, as Adrian suggested?

> I had previously started a DOM Core 4 draft specification, but when Anne
> and others volunteered to do Web DOM Core, I moved aside to let them
> work, and volunteered to help with that draft;

Actually, before you worked on that Simon Pieters wrote fair bit of Web
DOM Core (now DOM Core). Then Geoffrey Sneddon. Then Ms2ger. And only then
I started helping out.

> I would still like to help edit that specification, to bring a slightly
> different perspective and approach, and to coordinate between DOM3
> Events and DOM Core, and I believe we can edit the spec together
> amicably and productively.

Do you have a bitbucket.org account? Ms2ger and I use
https://bitbucket.org/ms2ger/dom-core as our primary repository. We
typically coordinate editorial ideas in #whatwg and for them we also do
commit first, then review every so often. Changes to existing features are
brought up for discussion on public-webapps@w3.org, usually after we
sanity checked them with each other. So far we have avoided adding new
features as we would like to first reach some kind of stability with the
current DOM implementations. If this all works for you I think it can work
out.

I have not run this by Ms2ger though I suspect he will agree.

To be frank I am a little skeptical given our strained relationship to
date, but I am willing to give it a try.

Kind regards,

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/