Re: [IndexedDB] setVersion blocked on uncollected garbage IDBDatabases

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> For what it's worth, shared workers already expose GC behavior. You'll
> get a already-existing shared worker, or a new one will be created,
> depending on if GC has collected the worker or not.

Hmmm. That was certainly not the intent when I was discussing the WebKit
implementation with Hixie, but either there was a miscommunication or the
definition of when a document becomes "discarded" has changed since then. In
the WebKit implementation, SharedWorker lifecycle is not tied to GC, but is
instead tied to specific deterministic navigation/close actions on the
parent document.

Dependence of SharedWorkers on GC is bad for all the same reasons I outlined
above - I'll follow up in a separate thread whether that is indeed the
intent of the spec.