Re: Quota API to query/request quota for offline storages (e.g. IndexedDB, FileSystem)

I rather like the prompt in the new FF builds; it's similar to the
prompt on Mobile Safari;
when you get into the site, it asks you if you're ok storing data, and
it allows you to specify a quota stepping.

FF does a great job on applicationCache + quota in that area.

The FileSystem API is a tricky thing.

indexedDB is more straightforward.

Let's take localStorage off the table for quota control: it's set at 5
megs in practice,
and it's a very different storage mechanism.

In practice, websql, appCache and indexeddb are backed by the public
domain sqlite library
and they share a quota on implementations.

I'd like to discuss FileSystem permissions as a distinct item,
as localStorage is distinct.

Use case for the quota API:

When a user wants to download a large set of data for offline use,
Scripting needs permission "unlimited" space.
"unlimited" is often set at 100 megs.

The user has to stick around until their quota is full,
if they've set a low quota amount.

Scripting should not have to require "100 megs" explicitly
when a user first lands on a page.

The user should only see an increase quota request
following an input action (such as clicking a link or button).

-Charles