Re: [chromium-html5] LocalStorage inside Worker

On 8 January 2011 00:57, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> sessionStorage
>
> > It's not arbitrary: the names "local" and "session" convey some meaning.
> > localStorage works well enough, out in the wild. sessionStorage is not in
> > wide use.
> >
> > I don't think it's restrictive, it just creates a wider implementation
> > divide between session and local.
>
> What I meant was: you said that you don't think localStorage should be
> available to workers, but I don't understand why.  Why should
> sessionStorage be available, but localStorage not?
>
> --
> Glenn Maynard

There is also the issue that current localStorage implementations may be
broken by multiple tabs/windows. To say it works well enough in the wild
seems to ignore this brokenness.

If access had to be from inside an "atomic" block (a callback from a single
storage-thread) then this would fix access from multiple tabs/windows as
well as from worker threads.

This could be implemented as a single threaded callback serialising access
to the storage, but implementers could choose to use Software Transactional
Memory techniques to give their browser a speed advantage.

Cheers,
Keean.