Re: What changes to Web Messaging spec are proposed? [Was: Re: Using ArrayBuffer as payload for binary data to/from Web Workers]

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 3:14 AM, David Levin <levin@chromium.org> wrote:

>>> Throwing for unsupported objects will break common, reasonable uses,
>>> making everyone jump hoops to use transfer.  Not throwing will only break
>>> code that seriously misuses the API, by listing objects for transfer and
>>> then continuing to use the object.
>>>

>> Code always seriously misuses apis. See Raymond Chen's blog for numerous
>> examples if you have any doubt (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/).
>>

> You didn't respond to the rest of my mail, where I pointed out that the
> misuse case will end up broken anyway as everyone will likely use a wrapper
> to get the no-exception behavior.  You'd have to, to support older browsers
> which don't support transfer for as many types.

If you insist....

Making people use a helper function like that is just making them jump an
> unnecessary hoop.

It makes them jump through another hoop to potentially misuse the api.

It shouldn't be simple to misuse apis.

Also, I haven't seen mention of Transferrable else where in the final
proposed solution which you used in that code.

dave