Re: RfC: moving Web Storage to WG Note; deadline June 29

On 6/21/11 2:00 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>>> Browser extensions are in every browser, so in a sense are part of the
>>> web platform.
>>
>> I strongly object to both this claim and the idea that browser extension
>> concerns should affect web-exposed APIs in general....
>
> your claims seem pretty groundless given the fact the Storage is
> implemented and used in exactly the same way on the web, in
> extensions, and in widgets. I really don't know what you possibly
> could be objecting to?

I'm objecting to the claim that browser extensions are part of the web
platform and hence should inform the design of web APIs.  They are not
and they should not, except in cases where there are no web
considerations informing the API.

> If that is so, then prove it: how *localStorage* in Opera extensions
> and Chrome extensions as used by background pages in any way different
> from localStorage on a Web page? What are these "all sorts of ways"
> that I so naively fail to miss?

Typically, the security restrictions applied to browser extensions are
completely different from the ones applied to websites, as one simple
example....

-Boris