Re: RfC: moving Web Storage to WG Note; deadline June 29

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 4:57 AM, Marcos Caceres
> <marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think this make sense. Unless it is removed from browsers it is part
>>> of the web platform and as such requires normative documentation.
>>
>> I agree with Anne. Can we just agree on the bits that are implemented
>> (i.e., drop the structured clones stuff), show interop through a test
>> suite? Despite the mutex issue, this is still a simple and useful API
>> for a vast number of use cases.
>
> The use cases being "environments which are single-process, i.e. in a
> near future not any major browsers" and "environments where you don't
> care about bugs here and there due to race conditions"?

Browser extensions might fit this use case (both Chrome and Opera make
use of localStorage for extensions).

See:
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/faq.html#faq-dev-08
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-extensions-options-page/

Browser extensions are in every browser, so in a sense are part of the
web platform.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au