Re: [Widgets] URI spec needs HTTP responses and dereferencing model

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> The current widget URI spec does not work with XHR and hence can't be
> used with popular JS libraries like JQuery Mobile. This makes the URI
> scheme basically useless for a massive number of use cases.

Oops :)

> To fix it, the widget URI spec needs to respond with HTTP responses
> when a URI is dereferenced... similar to what blob:// does:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/#processingModel

Are there are any plans to undertake a Provisional (or Permanent) URI
Scheme Registration for the widget URI? [1] The guidelines and
procedures of that process seem to form a handy general checklist for
minting URI schemes and should be capable of catching idiosyncrasies
such as this.

Perhaps we should get the widget URI proposal peer reviewed by the W3C
URI IG [2] and, perhaps, the IETF HTTP WG [3] before publication also.
I mention this since you mention the blob URI scheme. That has
recently been making the rounds on both of the listservs mentioned
above resulting in some interesting discussions.

- Rich

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4395

[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/12/URI/

[3] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/charter/