Re: What changes to Web Messaging spec are proposed? [Was: Re: Using ArrayBuffer as payload for binary data to/from Web Workers]

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Andrew Wilson <atwilson@google.com> wrote:
> > significant motivation. The stated motivations for breaking this API
> don't
> > seem compelling to me given the existence of backwards-compatible
> > alternatives.
>
> This proposal is backwards-compatible.  If the argument is an array,
> nothing changes, so postMessage(..., [ports]) is equivalent to
> postMessage(..., {ports: [ports]}).  (The array-only approach can be
> done compatibly, too; the object version is just an alternative to
> that.)  What's backwards-incompatible?

Ah, I missed that piece (to be honest, I haven't been following this
discussion in every detail - I only chimed in because of Jonas' request for
implementation feedback).

> For anyone not looking closely at the IDL while reading this, this
> means deprecating (for whatever value "deprecate" has on the web) the
> ports array in MessageEvent--not the ports parameter to postMessage
> (that's a sequence).

Does this affect the API for the SharedWorker onconnect message as well?