Re: [widgets]

Within the education vertical, the IMS consortium created a basic "launch" protocol for widget-like applications including user information and custom parameters [1] and we created a shim for using it with Apache Wookie [2]. So certainly a tractable area; If anything the IMS spec could work with far fewer parameters.

That said I don't think it would be difficult to construct a simple launch process for the STB that mapped parameters like programme/channel context information onto one of Preferences or Feature Parameters.

[1] http://www.imsglobal.org/lti/blti/bltiv1p0/ltiBLTIimgv1p0.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/basiclti4wookie/