Re: [widgets]

On 5/20/11 5:19 PM, Richard Felton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question.
>
> I'm looking at the possibility of using W3C widgets as a web-app
> mechanism on an IP connected set-top box. I've had a look through the
> specifications available and I can't see a way to pass launch parameters
> to a widget. Is this possible or has it been ruled out for good reason?
>
> For example, if I want to write a branded media player application (in a
> widget)  it'd be useful if I could allow the set-top box user interface
> to pass the identifier of the programme to be played into the widget.
> Effectively I'm looking for a way for a widget to specify something
> similar to command line options so that the launching entity can control
> the state the widget starts up in.

There is no standardized means to do this today, I'm afraid. However,
you could either pre-generate the widget to contain such information, or
acquire it from from the set top box through a http request. Another
means might be to create a proprietary <feature>:

<widget ...>
   <feature name="tv:startup">
      <param name="custom_config" value="{'a': 'b', 'c': 'd'}">
   <feature>
</widget>