Re: Filtering clipboard MIME types (was: Re: clipboard events)

On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:13:19 +0900, Daniel Cheng <dcheng@chromium.org>
wrote:

> I'd suggest that if we want to support image formats in the spec, we
> should
> try to support the same set that Canvas::toDataURL() does.

I'll have a look at image formats, thanks for pointing me to toDataURL() :)

>> +1 for being able to copy/paste binary data either through
>> application/octet-stream or perhaps using blobs with the BlobBuilder
>> API?

> I don't understand what problem you're trying to solve with
> application/octet-stream.

Do native OS clipboards generally tend to have a data type saying "this is
some random binary data"? That's more or less what I think
application/octet-stream indicates on the web. If there isn't a common
format to map it to on the OS clipboard side, I don't understand what's
being proposed either. (If I had to define "common" I guess I really mean
that the same concept exists in Desktop Win/Mac/*nix clipboard
implementations.)

> My bigger concern is that this list of things to support seems to be
> growing quite rapidly. It'd be nice if we had some sort of criteria to
> run proposals by, though I have no idea what they'd be.

Is it a good idea at this point to let the spec say "these types are
mandatory, those are optional"? Or just proceed carefully and try to avoid
the feature creep? ;-)

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/