W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapps@w3.org > April to June 2011

Re: [widgets] localizing author

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 06:38:14 +0200
To: public-webapps@w3.org, "Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Message-ID: <op.vuzq50zywxe0ny@widsith.local>
On Wed, 04 May 2011 18:29:50 +0200, Marcos Caceres
<marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,
>> I just realised that I actually localise my own name...
>> But I cannot do that in config.xml. Likewise, I would
>> like to localise the href for me which would be possible if I could
>> localise the author element but isn't at the moment.
> Yes, this was a mistake.

If we were at REC I would suggest this go into an erratum...

>> I don't know if this is too late for the current version, in which case
>> please log it as an issue for the future.
> I think it is too late for this version. We have runtimes now at 99% and  
> even 100% conformance and adding this would make most runtimes  
> non-conforming. I think its more important now to push this spec to REC  
> and address these kinds of cases in a future version of the spec.

Do we have a test for this? I propose that we allow our run-time (and  
other implementations, such as the validation used by Opera stores) to  
localise author, and if that makes us non-conforming we're letting good be  
an enemy of better (and the argument that we have conformant run-times  
then looks weaker). If we don't have a test for it, then we know there is  
a requirement in our spec that isn't tested anyway.

In paticular, since we have at least one live product (addons.opera.com  
submission process) that validates against the existing schema, we have  
the choice of either supporting the spec or supporting best practice here.  
What would you prefer us to do?

>> Changing it to allow localisation would mean a change to the schema -
>> and at least to Opera's implementation. I haven't yet checked (I only
>> realised I want to do this but it isn't allowed today) whether we have
>> any preference for making that change now or later.
> I think we should definitely add this to any future versions of the  
> spec. In fact, authors could actually start using multiple localized  
> author elements today and have them work in the future.
> If it is ok with you, we will add this to a future version of the spec?

Notwithstanding the above, given that if you do add localised versions the  
required behaviour is clear in v1
processing, I can live with that if the group decides to take that  

Pity though. Turns out we're not infallible yet ;)


Charles McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
       je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg lærer norsk
http://my.opera.com/chaals       Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
Received on Thursday, 5 May 2011 04:38:44 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 18:13:19 UTC