Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

> 	Joran Greef <mailto:joran@ronomon.com>
> April 4, 2011 April 4, 201110:18 AM
>

> On 04 Apr 2011, at 6:10 PM, Mikeal Rogers wrote:
>
>> it's not very hard to write the abstraction you're talking about on top of IndexedDB, and until you do it i'm going to have a hard time taking you seriously because it's clearly doable.
>

> You assume I have not written the abstraction I am talking about on top of IndexedDB?
>
>> the constructs in IndexedDB are pretty low level but sufficient if you know how to implement databases. performance is definitely an issue, but making these constructs faster would be much easier than trying to tweak an off the shelf SQL implementation to your use case.
>

> How exactly would you make a schema-enforcing interface faster than a stateless interface?
>
> How would you implement application-managed indices on top of IndexedDB without being slower than SQLite?
this assumes your indexes can be describe well in sqlite and that you
want them generated at write time. one of the performance optimizations
couchdb makes is to generate secondary indexes at read time which is
much more efficient as you can batch the processing and do a single bulk
transaction which limits IO. if you need, exactly, the indexes sqlite
provides then i'm sure they will be well optimized in sqlite, but for
everyone else.....
> How would you implement set operations on indices in IndexedDB without being slower or less memory efficient than SQLite?
you can do pretty much anything if you write a good abstraction and
leverage transactions. if it's too slow complain to the vendor and it'll
get improved, that's how we've been improving performance in the browser
for many, many years and it seems to be working.
> How would you create an index on an existing object store in IndexedDB containing more than 50,000 objects on an iPad, without incurring any object deserialization/serialization overhead, without being an order of magnitude slower than SQLite, and without bringing the iPad to its knees? If you can do it with even one IndexedDB implementation out there then kudos and hats off to you. :)
the biggest bottleneck here in the current implementation would be the
transaction overhead on a database this size, which is because of
performance problems in sqlite which is underlying the implementation.
sqlite can't fix this, it's currently the problem. the object
serialization is not a huge performance issue, performance issues in
databases are almost always do to IO or transaction locks.
> I understand your point of view. I once thought the same. You would think that IndexedDB would be more than satisfactory for these things. The question is whether IndexedDB provides adequate and performant database primitives, to the same degree as SQLite (and of course SQL is merely an interface to database storage primitives, I do not recalling saying otherwise).
sqlite doesn't expose it's primitives well, it exposes it's
abstractions. berkeleydb exposes it's primitives well, and you could
make the case that it would be a better thing to standardize on,
although i wouldn't think that would be a great idea either.
> You can build IndexedDB on top of SQLite (as some browsers are indeed doing), but you cannot build SQLite on IndexedDB.
you should most definitely be able build sqlite on top of IDB, there
would be a performance penalty of course, which we can address, but you
should be able to do it. if you can't then we need to extend the
specification.