RE: [IndexedDB] Languages for collation

From: Jungshik Shin (신정식, 申政湜) [mailto:jungshik@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:34 PM

>> As for the locale identifiers, my understanding is that Windows APIs (newer 'name-based' locale APIs) more or less follows BCP 47.

Picking this back up from this August thread. I went around and asked Windows folks about this. Locale identifiers based on BCP 47 sound good.

On the other hand, we probably wouldn't do UCA. I heard various worries from folks that work in this space, including the fact that it seems it's still changing so it would be a moving target (which btw means that collisions could still happen) and that we don't support it in a number of places today. Given that feedback, I would rather leave this open and let implementations choose the algorithm for collation (still need to do language-sensitive collation, of course). Would that work?

Thanks
-pablo