Re: [XHR] Redirects

On 16.09.2010 11:32, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:50:41 +0200, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> If using followRedirect() is easy, but manually following it is hard,
>> people might choose the wrong approach just because it's easier.
>
> Well, what is wrong and what is right is still an open issue in the HTTP
> WG.

Yes, that's <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/160>.

I note that there are servers out there that expect method name
preservation upon 301/302 (such as Apache/moddav), and that there are
clients out there that do this.

I don't believe that we're going to make these cases non-compliant;
maximally, we could state the special situation for POST (and just that,
not all methods).

>> I think that obtaining the resolved Location for the redirect is the
>> most tricky part, and we should come up with a solution where that is
>> also available for people who do not want the default browser behavior.
>
> I don't really like special casing the Location header here. It seems we
> are ending up with two additional members for dealing with redirects. I
> do not want another one. There are other headers where resolving a URL
> might be needed. Adding a parameter to navigator.resolveURL() for a base
> URL is the way to go I think.

That sounds good to me. In general I think it would be great if there
were standard APIs for URI/IRI construction, parsing and resolution...

Best regards, Julian