Re: [IndexedDB] Languages for collation

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Jungshik Shin (½ÅÁ¤½Ä, ãéïÙã×) <
jungshik@google.com> wrote:

> + adding the authors of BCP 47 (Mark Davis and Addison Phillips) and
> Richard Ishida (w3c i18n)
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>> > 2 additional questions:  What standard will define the language codes
>> and
>> > the associated collation algorithm?
>>
>> Very good questions. Are there specifications for this stuff elsewhere?
>>

> As for the language code, we already have BCP 47. See
>
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt
>
> The Registry
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry
>
> http://unicode.org/reports/tr35/#BCP47
>
> The collation algorithm should be based on UCA (
> http://unicode.org/reports/tr10/ ) with locale-specific tailoring coming
> from CLDR (http://cldr.unicode.org )
>

> >  And what's the behavior for an
> > implementation that doesn't support that particular language?
>
> <http://unicode.org/reports/tr35/#BCP47> BCP 47 above defines a
> truncation/fallback mechanism. All the locales along the line of
> truncation/fallback fails, it'd eventually fall back to the UCA.
>
> Jungshik
>

>> / Jonas

Thanks for the response, Jungshik!  Referencing this stuff looks good for
the spec side of things.  Do you know anything about the implementation
side, by chance?  In other words are there any standard libraries that we
can use for all of this?  (Ideally BSD, LGPL, or similarly licensed? :-)