Re: [WebSQLDatabase] Adding a vacuum() call

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 03:22:00 +0100, Dumitru Daniliuc <dumi@chromium.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We (Chromium) would like to add a vacuum() call on the Database object.

[...]

I would argue about having something a bit more generic for naming like
"defragment()".

I don't see how the callbacks are useful though. Vacuum works
transparently, its effects are not visible, and what should the page do in
case of error ?

Given that an operation like vacuum would be disk IO intensive, would it
be good to give the webpage control over a feature that can have
significant performance concerns ?
While computers benefit from good file IO performance, that's not quite
true in many mobile devices. So, the API would be more like an hint ? How
can the webpage know the level of fragmentation of the data file ?

Sqlite supports incremental vacuum http://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html so
this kind of feature should be left for sqlite to handle for itself.