From: Doug Schepers [mailto:schepers@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:08 AM
To: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW)
Cc: Charles Pritchard; public-webapps@w3.org
Subject: Re: Event handlers - Pointer Devices

Hi, Bryan-

SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW) wrote (on 3/4/10 9:15 AM):
> This might be better discussed by the DAP group, as it's clearly a
> "device API" topic.

By that definition, a mouse would be a device. :)  This work belongs in
the WebApps WG, and it is explicitly mentioned in our charter, to be
taken up during our next charter period.

DAP is not focused on user-input devices, more on things like cameras,
calendars, etc. available on the local device.

> Also it would be interesting to hear from Apple and Wacom (without
> unnecessary details at this point), what areas of touch interface
> capabilities would be problematic for W3C to create API's for, from an
> IPR perspective (i.e. that would probably result in exclusions)... this
> concern is driven e.g. by the current touch-related issue between Apple
> and HTC.

This is putting the cart before the horse.  It's not appropriate to
discuss IPR at this point, since we don't even have a draft spec (by
design).  Once we have a draft of the spec, participants who have IPR
can have their legal team look at it and chime in at that point (though
this may take place in Member space, since they may wish to do so under
the legal framework of W3C Member confidentiality).

I am concerned that it may not be fruitful, and may be
counterproductive, for us to start speculating on this list about IPR.
Let's keep the discussion on technical matters, please.

However, use cases and requirements would be appropriate to discuss, and
this should help frame a successful outcome for this spec.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/DeviceAPICharter

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs