Re: [widgets] dir and span elements

On 1 Mar 2010, at 17:58, Phillips, Addison wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> One reason to make 'dir' available on higher-level elements is that
> 'dir', like 'xml:lang', has scope. It is often useful to specify a
> "base" directionality for an entire document or block of elements
> rather than having to repeat it over-and-over on each affected
> element. I can agree that it might not make sense on every element
> and perhaps we should look at which structural elements in P&C make
> sense as a place to set a base directionality or directionality
> override.

Thanks Addison - and yes, I think this makes a lot of sense for a
"content"-style spec like HTML, however as the Widgets P&C is a
configuration document most of which is IRIs, integers and so on
rather than text content its less of a clear case.

If dir conformance is tested in relation to the Rule For Obtaining
Text Content then this already scopes its use to the four elements
mentioned as these are the only elements that the rule applies to.