Re: Rechartering WebApp WG

On Feb 11, 2010, at 2:10 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

>>> I don't doubt that it's implementable. However I still think there
>>> are
>>> much simpler solutions that make things easier both for authors and
>>> browser implementors. See for example the way that mozilla signs XPI
>>> files.
>>
>> I don't disagree with you on the implementation side (and Im happy
>> to hear
>> that you think it can be implemented - I'll keep my fingers
>> crossed). On the
>> author side, I honestly don't know how much of a difference it will
>> make.
>> I'm sure someone will create a dead easy click once packager for
>> widgets, if
>> they haven't done so already. But is there something inherently
>> wrong with
>> our current technological choice that would not allow that? (if
>> yes, please
>> send to public-webapps, which is where we discuss widgets ;))
>
> Ah, the old "the tools will save us" argument ;)

Ooooh, snap!! walked straight into that one :D

> Yes, tools can certainly help. But that doesn't remove from the fact
> that something that's simpler to author would be simpler for authors.

It's crypto: by definition, its really complicated; I don't know how
much easier one could make it. And reading https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Signing_a_XPI
  I can see Mozilla's solution is far from easy to use. I was
expecting point and click, but I see a lot of scary (for me) command
line stuff. One even need a special zip tool because of the whole META/
inf thing?

> What about situations when you want to dynamically generate widgets,
> say using PHP?

What about it? Won't a simple command line tool work? You could have a
GUI version and a command line version. Like Zip.

> Or if you don't speak the language(s) the tool is
> localized to.

I don't understand this one? I guess as above.

> Or if a web-based tool happens to be down because of
> server upgrades?

I'm sorry, but i'm not really following as to what this has to do with
our choice to use XML DigSig as the sig format? Despite my silly tools
will save us mishap, my original question is still: is XML digsig
limited in some way that all the above command/GUI/web interfaces
could not be built on it (if they haven't already)? And what are the
advantages of XPI signing over the current model? Is it the
availability of tools to make sigs what makes it better or is it that
the sig format simpler? I can't see it being too much simpler from an
authors perspective. And once you implement it and get it running,
won't the XML cononicalization problems go away?