Re: [widgets-twi] window object

Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2010, at 16:18 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Cyril Concolato<cyril.concolato@enst.fr>  wrote:
>>> So I'm wondering how should the widget object be implemented in a UA
>>> that does not support the window object ?
>> Yeah, that's a tough one... the spec says:
>>
>> "For a widget instance, a user agent MUST expose a unique object that
>> implements the widget interface to author scripts."
>>
>> It does not give any guidance as to how the interface must be exposed.
>
> But then again, SVG supports the Window object (minimally defined in http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html#dom__Window). So just adding a widget field there ought to be straightforward.

As much as I dislike it, I'm also not that inclined to define what to do
for non-"Window"-based implementations (beyond what we currently have in
the spec; which, I admit, is not much). It is, non-the-less, kinda bad
that we don't have a spec that defines Window independently of HTML but
I understand why that is: because Window is a foul intertwined
incestuous mess... However, as Window is an integral part of the Web
platform, we might just have to live with that :(

Also, the main use cases we are dealing with all rely on Window being
there (HTML and, as Robin points out, SVG). If UAs start to emerge that
are windowless (e.g., "daemon" or "headless" widgets), then we should
formally define how this binds to some top-level context. WDYT?

Kind regards,
Marcos