Re: Notifications

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 00:36:26 +0100, John Gregg <johnnyg@google.com> wrote:
> I'm familiar with that version of the proposal (in fact my WHATWG
> proposal from March '09 had the same language: untrusted notifications
> displayed
> in-browser), but considering it more I think it is too limiting.
> Considering widgets, mobile browsers, browser extensions, workers
> (already in the spec), etc., which all might want to use this API, it's
> potentially many different forms of UI for untrusted
> notifications---where do they go, how is it clear where they came from?
> Compare that to a single place outside the browser, with a clear source
> displayed, once trust is established.  I prefer the
> latter.

You probably need different permission UI regardless. E.g. on mobile
browsers you might not show the notification in-tab but would only
something if the user did something in response to a dialog.

> In the case the first notification from an application is an important
> one,
> that app should be able to request permission for out-of-tab
> notifications beforehand;

Aren't notifications by nature somewhat non-important? In any event, we
could expose to the application whether or not it was displayed and if it
was not the application could pick an alternative route to convey the
information.

> for that reason I'm convinced requestPermission() is desirable.
> However beyond that, perhaps the spec should be flexible; if a UA wants
> to treat PERMISSION_UNKNOWN as "show in-tab" rather than "throw
> exception", the spec could allow it -- but I don't think it should
> require it.  Would that be acceptable?

I'm not convinced we need a permission API and would therefore rather
leave it out to see if we can do without. We do not have an API like this
anymore else.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/