Re: File API: Blob and underlying file changes.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> One thing to remember here is that if we require snapshotting, that
> will mean paying potentially very high costs every time the
> snapshotting operation is used. Potetially copying hundreds of
> megabytes of data (think video).

I was thinking of different semantics. If the underlying bits change
sometime after a 'snapshot' is taken, the 'snapshot' becomes invalid and you
cannot access the underying bits. If an application wants guaranteed access
to the 'snapshot', it would have to explicitly save a copy somewhere
(sandboxed file system / coin a new transient 'Blob' via a new blob.copy()
method) and refer to the copy.

So no costly copies are made w/o explicit direction to do so from the app.

But if we don't require snapshotting, things will only break if the