Re: Adopting postMessage and MessageChannel from HTML5?

On Jan 14, 2010, at 11:23 AM, ext Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2010, at 6:16 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>>
>> The decision is that WebApps may now publish a Working Group _Note_
>> for postMessage and MessageChannel but we may not publish a Working
>> Draft until this item is formally added to our Charter.
>
> Some information on the potential effects of this:
>
> I believe this will lead to Web Apps WG's Web Workers draft having a
> normative dependency on a Working Group Note. Web Workers is in Last
> Call. I believe the end of the Last Call period is before we get
> rechartered. Thus, we will potentially end up asking for CR transition
> with a WG Note normative dependency. Is that going to be acceptable?

June 30 is both the expiration date of WebApps' current charter and
the end of the comment period for the Web Workers LC review period.

My understanding is that charter discussions will soon begin (BTW, I
haven't seen any indication that anyone will object to postMessage/
MessageChannel being added to WebApps Charter). If there are no major
issues raised (e.g. no one recommends the WG be split up) during the
charter discussions, I would expect the re-chartering to be completed
by June 30.

If the timing isn't acceptable, the HTML WG may publish a WD of
postMessage/MessageChannel and WebApps can take it over (after it is
in WebApps' charter).

-Art Barstow