Re: [admin] DVCS platform at W3C

Hi Nikunj,

On Jun 7, 2010, at 23:00 , Nikunj Mehta wrote:
> We have started using Mercurial for IndexedDB. I would like to propose moving the IndexedDB spec's location to that repository in order to enable multiple editors to work on it. Does anyone see a problem with that?
>
> Also, we will need help to host the editor's draft from mercurial instead of cvs. What is the best way to do that?

One thing that's not obvious from the hg interface is that the pointer to the latest version of the spec is at:

  http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndexedDB/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

(if you click through the HTML interface, you'll reach a URI that's a pointer to the latest commit, but if you distribute that link and make new commits, it'll point to the older revision).

I would like to suggest that we use an .htaccess in dev.w3 to proxy to the hg version. This has two advantages: 1) we can keep the current location, and 2) you can point to ReSpec on the same server which will keep you from cross-domain issues that you would otherwise have down the line. (Note that ReSpec v2 is also on the new system, so that won't be an issue going forward).

My mod_rewrite-fu is way rusty, but I'm guessing that a variation on the following ought to work:

RewriteEngine  on
RewriteRule    ^/2006/webapi/IndexedDB/(.*) http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndexedDB/raw-file/tip/$1 [PL]

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/