Re: Scientific Literature on Capabilities (was Re: CORS versus Uniform Messaging?)

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Tyler Close <tyler.close@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For example, the
>> User Consent Phase and Grant Phase above could be replaced by a single
>> copy-paste operation by the user.
>
> Any design that involves storing confidential information in the
> clipboard is insecure because IE lets arbitrary web sites read the
> user's clipboard.  You can judge that to be a regrettable choice by
> the IE team, but it's just a fact of the world.

And so we use the alternate, no-copy-paste design on IE while waiting
for a better world; one in which users can safely copy data between
web pages.

I imagine many passwords and other PII are made vulnerable by IE's
clipboard policy.

--Tyler