Re: CORS versus Uniform Messaging?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Arthur Barstow <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>wrote:

> CORS and Uniform Messaging People,
>
> We are now just a few weeks away from the February 2006 start of what has
> now become the CORS spec. In those four years, the model has been
> significantly improved, Microsoft deployed XDR, we now have the Uniform
> Messaging counter-proposal. Meanwhile, the industry doesn't have an agreed
> standard to address the important use cases.
>
> Although we are following the Darwinian model of competing specs with Web
> SQL Database and Indexed Database API, I believe I'm not alone in thinking
> competing specs in the CORS and UM space is not desirable and perhaps even
> harmful.
>
> Ideally, the group would agree on a single model and this could be achieved
> by converging CORS + UM, abandoning one model in deference to the other,
> etc.
>
> Can we all rally behind a single model?

Yes, I believe we can. That's why we designed UM Level 1 (hereafter UM1) so
that UM1-compliant server-side behavior would be compatible both with
UM1-compliant browsers and with the XDR or CORS approximations in the latest
deployments of all the major browsers. If we were not designing UM1 to be
such a rallying point, we would have gone with the compact "U:" header
mentioned in our note, rather than the unfortunately verbose,
incompressible, but compatible "Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *"  header.

UM1 avoids the security flaws of CORS while operating in the intersection of
existing deployments and proposals.

As for extending beyond level 1 into the issues potentially requiring
pre-flight and outside the intersection with XDR, I continue to think this
should wait till we have agreement on what SOP guarantees server side
app/resource authors may count on, which new protocol proposals are thereby
obligated to uphold. For example, must we really POSTs from conveying
alternate mime types in the absence of a preflight? If we must, then fine.
But if we mustn't, then let's not. For example, if a preflight-less request
could POST with application/jsonrequest, then UM1 would be close to
subsuming JSONRequest.

But if the lack of a preflight-based level 2 is the issue blocking rallying
on UM, we could propose a level 2 before an agreement on what SOP guarantees
must be upheld.

--
   Cheers,
   --MarkM