Re: Renaming WebDatabase and WebSimpleDB

Since this API is about a transactional database, it is better to call
it a database instead of storage. Storage also means that there is no
automated index maintenance since it is only about storage and not
about arrangement of records or their indexing.

Nikunj

On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:11 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:

> Web-Indexed-Storage
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Nikunj R. Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com
> > wrote:
>
> On Nov 30, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
>
> Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org>, 2009-11-30 14:46 -0800:
>
> I agree with Mike, but I'd also note that "Web Key-Value Database"
> could
> easily be confused with WebStorage given that it also uses a Key-Value
> model.
>
> True but we know the distinction is that Web Storage does not use
> a database.
>

> Do we make naming decisions considering just us WG members as its
> audience or that of the general public? I think the general public
> is well within its rights to treat Web Storage as a persistence
> technology that seems to be like "Key-Value" database.
>
> I want to emphasize here that I think "key-value" in the title
> misses the subtlety - it is the use of index sequential access that
> is at the heart of WebSimpleDB, and not key-value storage.
>

> Nikunj
> http://o-micron.blogspot.com

Nikunj
http://o-micron.blogspot.com