Re: [selectors-api] querySelector with namespace

On Nov 26, 2009, at 15:07 , Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Jonathan Watt wrote:
>> Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that Web
>> content shouldn't be able to process XML that uses xml:id using script and
>> present the processed information to the user using content and semantics that
>> *does* "belong on the Web".
>>
>> Anyway, please also note that xml:id was just the example that drew my attention
>> to this defficency in querySelector. It's an example, nothing more. The
>> deficiency is my focus here.
>
> I really do not understand what use case you are trying to address.  It appears that you are trying to find a solution to a problem that does not exist.

That's because you're not reading what Jonathan has been saying. He said xml:id was just the example that drew his attention to the fact that the selectors API can't do namespaces. He points out, rather correctly, that there is no reason that Web content shouldn't be able to process XML and present the processed information to the user.

The lack of namespace resolution in selectors is extremely annoying because it means that one has to switch between selectors (if only for classes support) and the XPath APIs for namespace support whenever one tries to do, you know, one of those real-world things where you have to aggregate data from multiple sources that might not be talking to one another.

Not supporting prefix resolution in selectors is silly, and so far I have yet to see a reason not to do it that isn't grounded in religion.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/