Re: [FileAPI] File.mediaType

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:36:33 +0100, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> This should be a bit more exact as to how the mediaType is returned. I
>> would prefer ASCII-lowercase.
>
> Done.

The current text says the string is ASCII-encoded. That's not true. It's
in 16bit code points like any other DOMString.

>> Returning "application/octet-stream" rather than null also seems better
>> if the type is not known. That way you do not have to type check. Other
>> parts of the platform also handle "application/octet-stream" as unknown.
>
> It's been pointed out that user agents type check on files.  If the
> mediaType is not known, users invoking the attribute can't do anything
> useful with it, so null is better.  What are the use cases for using
> application/octet-stream instead?

I guess not known might be useful. Can't we just make it the empty string
then? I don't really see the need to return something other than a
DOMString.

>> Also, maybe we should just call this type? File.type seems unambiguous
>> enough.
>
> "mediaType" is more specific than "type".

etc. I'm not sure we use mediaType anywhere right now.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/