Re: CSRF vulnerability in Tyler's GuestXHR protocol?

Hi Devdatta,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Devdatta <dev.akhawe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tyler,
>
> Some parts of the protocol are not clear to me. Can you please clarify
> the following :
> 1> In msg 1, what script context is the browser running in ? Site A or
> Site B ? (in other words who initiates the whole protocol ?)

Server A, or a bookmark.

> 2> Msg 3 is a form POST or a XHR POST ? If the latter , 5 needs to be
> marked as a GuestXHR

Msg 3 is a form POST, so that the response can redirect the browser to Server B.

> 3> The 'secret123' token : Does it expire? If yes when/how ? Also, if
> it expires, will the user have to again confirm the grant from A ?

As presented, the token does not expire. If you want it to expire, the
simplest implementation would be to simply redo the introduction step.
Another alternative is to have Server B ask Server A for a fresh
secret by sending a request containing the previous secret. After the
initial introduction, Server B has Server A's URL and a shared secret
for authorization, so you can use that to bootstrap communication
between the two servers.

> Thanks
> Devdatta

My pleasure,