Re: What do we mean by "parking" Web Database? [Was: Re: TPAC report day 2]

On Nov 9, 2009, at 09:58 , Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2009, at 11:12 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> Indeed. I still personally wouldn't call it multiple independent
>> implementations though.
>
> Would you call multiple implementations that use the standard C
> library independent? Obviously there's a judgment call to be made
> here. I realize that in this case a database implementation is a
> pretty key piece of the problem.

At the very least I would expect the CR-exit criteria to require two
interoperable implementations of the specification made using
different SQL back-ends. Otherwise this would be like implementing
something in Gecko and counting Firefox, XulRunner, Seamonkey, etc. as
independent implementations.

> But I also think it would be more fruitful for you to promote
> solutions you do like, than to try to find lawyerly reasons to stop
> the advancement of specs you don't (when the later have been
> implemented and shipped and likely will see more implementations).

I personally am not trying to be lawyery about this, but I think it's
only fair to request that this specification be done at the level we
expect from others. I therefore don't see much of a point in going to
LC without the SQL dialect being specified — it's not a finished spec.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/