Re: Value of Server-Sent Events

On Oct 23, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:

> I buy all of those advantages. This feature is a nice formalization
> of the commonly used "hanging GET" found in many ajax applications.

Indeed, that's basically the point. It provides a reliable and
convenient interface to the "hanging GET" pattern.

> An area that may be worth exploring, that would add to the list
> things that go beyond syntactic sugar, could be for multiple
> documents to listen in on the same event-stream backed by the same
> connection to the server. This could reduce the total number of
> hanging GET style connections used by an application (spread across
> multiple pages / workers) on a particular client, and by extension
> the number of connections seen by the server-side.

Interesting idea. We could do this purely on the client by giving the
EventSource constructor a "shared" flag. But we'd probably have to
allow event source sharing only between clients from the same origin.
Maybe we can give the server a way to allow sharing the contents of an
event stream cross-origin but I would be hesitant to do that and I
think the use case is weaker.

Regards,
Maciej