Re: CfC: to publish new WDs of Server-sent Events, Web {Database, Sockets API, Storage, Workers}; deadline 26 October

On Oct 23, 2009, at 10:30 AM, ext Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:
> Fine for all except WebDatabase.
>
> I notice that its present ED is virtually the same as its FPWD (modulo
> a new section on data sensitivity). There is no movement on any of the
> thorny issues - locking granularity, relational model and SQL dialect.
>
> I am not sure what benefit is to be achieved from republishing
> essentially the same draft as a new WD. It does have the opportunity
> to mislead general public in thinking that progress is being made in
> the spec, when that is not the case.
>
> As Ian says in the IRC log, no one agrees on the WebDatabase spec any
> way so does it help to publish (essentially the same text as) a new
> WD?

The fact that a spec has open issues is not sufficient to block a WD
from being published nor is the fact that there is not consensus on
the entire contents of the document. I think the Process Document is
clear on these points.

A potential benefit of a new publication in /TR/ is wider review. I
think this is particularly important before the TPAC meeting given
about 1/3 of the registrants are not WG members and hence are
unlikely to follow the changes in the Editor's Drafts.

I think the recent publication of WebSimpleDB API shows this general
area is still changing. Furthermore, I think a key point in the heads-
up email that preceded this CfC ([1]) - that Web Database will not be
ready for Last Call when the other specs are - does acknowledge that
spec's contents does not have consensus in the WG.

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009OctDec/
0313.html