Re: solving the CPU usage issue for non-visible pages

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it really the visibility of the page that is being queried - or the
> some kind of state of a window?  Maybe it's a silly bit of semantics,
> but it seems clearer to me that most of the things discussed here are
> about a whole window/tab being "minimized" (either to a taskbar or tab
> or something).  If I have one app open and it is covering a browser
> window - the browser window is not visible (it's lower in the stacking
> order).  Likewise, a page is generally "partially" visible
> (scrollbars) so that seems more confusing than it needs to be too.

There are lots of reasons why the browser might deduce that the user is not
paying attention to a document, e.g.
-- the browser window containing the document is minimized
-- the tab containing the document is hidden
-- the document is in an IFRAME and scrolled offscreen
-- the browser window is buried behind other windows on the desktop
-- the screen is dimmed for power saving
-- gaze tracking detects that the user is looking somewhere else
-- ultrasonic pings detect that the user is not there

If we need an API beyond just animation, you might as well call it something
like window.hasAttention so browsers can cover all of those cases.

Rob
53:5-6]