Re: [EventSource] feedback from implementors

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Per-Erik Brodin wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Per-Erik Brodin wrote:
> >  >
> >  > When parsing an event stream, allowing carriage return, carriage return
> >  > line feed, and line feed to denote line endings introduces unnecessary
> >  > ambiguity into the spec. For example, the sequence "\r\r\n\n" could be
> >  > interpreted as three or four line endings.
> >
> > I've clarified the stream parsing format to define the above strictly as
> > three line endings (not counting the end of the line).
>
> That should take care of the ambiguity in stream parsing, but "not
> followd by a U+000D CARRIAGE RETURN (LF)" should probably read "not
> followed by a U+000A LINE FEED (LF)".

Fixed.

> > Similarly, no 'close' event is dispatched, no 'peanut' event is
> > dispatched, and the disk doesn't get reformatted. :-)
>
> I figured the disk doesn't get reformatted because that wouldn't be nice
> to users, but are you sure about the peanut event? Seriously though,
> sometimes it could be nice to have a "must not ..". Maybe it's not
> motivated here.

I try to avoid listing what should _not_ happen because then people start
thinking there's a reason I haven't listed some other crazy thing that I
didn't list. :-)

> > > Finally, it could be useful to be able to reset the reconnection
> > > time to the user agent default value by sending the retry field only
> > > and leave out the value similar to how you reset the last event id.
> >
> > What's the use case?
>
> Take the stock ticker as an example. When the stock market closes the
> server logic knows that there won't be any new events for a number of
> hours and so it can send the corresponding reconnection time and close
> the connection. If the client is still running by the time the market
> opens, it will reconnect, and the server can now reset the reconnection
> time to a time that is convenient for the user agent (which is the user
> agent default value, unknown to the server).

That's an interesting use case, I will grant you that. It's probably not
critical enough to justify adding right away though. I've noted it for a
future version.