Re: [XHR] Some comments on "charset" in the Content-Type header

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:51:45 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> FWIW, this is what I've done now. It gives authors a reasonable level of
>> control over the Content-Type header, it does make sure an incorrect
>> charset parameter is fixed, and includes a charset parameter and MIME
>> type if the author did not include a Content-Type header.
>
> Note that it also makes it a PITA for authors to correctly send their
> XHTML document as application/xhtml+xml with the right charset set.  But
> if that's ok....

If you do something as simple as

   application/xhtml+xml;charset=utf-8

it will be corrected so it should be fine.

However, it is not clear to me why you'd want a charset parameter for XML
resources to begin with. The metadata the XML parser can extract is much
more likely to be correct.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/