Re: File API commens

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> > - why is a new URI scheme needed? Can't you just use urn:uuid?
>
> I think we'd really like to avoid creating a new scheme if we could
> reuse an existing one. I know Arun was looking for an existing scheme,
> but not sure if he looked at the 'urn' scheme.

I think we need a new URL scheme because otherwise we're going to end up
with really complicated origin rules (e.g. the origin of
"urn:isbn:0123..." is a unique ID, but the origin of "urn:uuid:0123..." is
the special file API origin). Reusing urn:uuid would also mean basically
hijacking the urn:uuid semantics in browsers and overriding them with
something else, such that, e.g., nobody could reuse this scheme in other
contexts if there was any risk of the context coming into contact with
brosers. And of course there's the implementation cost; APIs generally
make it much easier to implement a new scheme than to implement part of
the space created by the urn: scheme.