Re: [widgets] Closing widget Interface issues

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Scott Wilson
<scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> #1 & #2 are the same issue; we haven't reached consensus yet, though as
> Marcos says in his response on #1, we are in agreement over what we are
> trying to achieve with this part of the spec - we just need to figure out
> which of the two approaches to take.

Right.

> My preference is to replace "origin of a widget" with "the widget instance",

Ok, "origin of a widget" is now gone in favor "widget instance". I
also got rid on the "widget context" concept, which was ambiguous and
confusing. Widget instance still needs a definition.

> and then phrase conformance in terms of UA requirements e.g. must offer a
> unique storage area bound to each widget instance, must not allow a widget
> instance to access or overwrite the storage area of another widget instance.

done.

> However, exactly how the UA binds a widget instance to a storage area would
> be an implementation detail.

Exactly.

> The implications I can see of such a change are:
> - There may no longer be a dependency on Widgets-URI [1], affecting section

There is now no dependency on Widget-URI

> 4: User Agents; in which case this can be removed from the definition of a
> User Agent
> - No need for definition "Origin of a widget" in Section 2: Definitions

done.

> - Extra definition "Widget instance" needed in Section 2: Definitions

Right. I'll work on that.

> - Change "origin of a widget" to "widget instance" in Section 5: Storage
done

> Areas and Section 7.4: Preferences
> - Change step 1 in Section 7.4.2: Initialization of the preferences
> attribute to "Establish the identity of the widget instance, and create a
> storage area that is unique for the widget instance"

done

> - Section 5: Storage Areas: "It is recommended that a user agent preserve
> the values stored in a storage area across subsequent instantiations of a
> widget (i.e., the data needs to be saved if the widget is closed, the device
> is rebooted, and then the widget is reopened)." this should be change. Sadly
> the best I can come up with is: "It is recommended that a user agent
> preserve the values stored in a storage area each time a widget instance is
> dereferenced (i.e., the data needs to be saved if the widget is closed, the
> device is rebooted, and then the widget is reopened)."

dereferenced I don't like (because of URI spec).

I think we should just say "re-instantiated".

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au