Re: Web IDL Garden Hose (was: ECMA TC 39 / W3C HTML and WebApps WG coordination)

On Sep 27, 2009, at 21:44 , Mark S. Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
> wrote:
> I would tend to be rather in disfavour of anything that might cause
> WebIDL to be delayed in any way. I also think that keeping the ES3
> binding is useful (in the short term at least) if only because it is
> familiar,
>
> This seems like a standard without an audience, as ES5 is becoming
> official well ahead of HTML5. Who needs HTML5 on ES3?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. WebIDL isn't just for HTML5,
it's used throughout WebApps and DAP, and by a number of other groups
as well, which have deliverables at various levels of completion. By
depending on WebIDL, a lot of these cannot move forward along the
process until WebIDL itself moves ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the least hostile to an ES5 binding. I
just don't want to rush into it and have a knock-on effect on the
timeliness of a bunch of other people's work.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/