Re: Web IDL Garden Hose (was: ECMA TC 39 / W3C HTML and WebApps WG coordination)

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you're getting at here. WebIDL isn't just for HTML5, it's
> used throughout WebApps and DAP, and by a number of other groups as well,
> which have deliverables at various levels of completion. By depending on
> WebIDL, a lot of these cannot move forward along the process until WebIDL
> itself moves ahead.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the least hostile to an ES5 binding. I just
> don't want to rush into it and have a knock-on effect on the timeliness of a
> bunch of other people's work.

Good point. I was indeed thinking only of HTML5. Other things being equal,
it would seem the best way for these other projects to avoid blocking on
WebIDL would be for them to rely only on the previous version of WebIDL. Of
course, other things are never equal. Why do these other projects need a new
version of WebIDL?

--
   Cheers,
   --MarkM