Re: Widgets PAG seeks feedback on Widget Updates spec

Marcos Caceres a écrit :
> >From the spec "...an author can request that a widget asynchronously
> check if a widget has been updated [(i.e., that a new version of the
> widget package is available online)] via the widget.update() method,
> defined in the Widgets-API specification. This strategy also relies on
> the author having declared a update element in the widget
> configuration document, as it makes use of the URI to potentially
> retrieve an UDD and relay whether an update is available back to the
> instantiated Widget. ***Actually performing the update is left to the
> discretion of the widget user agent.**"*

JCD: this standards trick works if your aim is to have a patent on the
highlighted point be judged as non-essential.
There are a few points to check to ensure non-essentiality:
- the language of the standard makes the feature a MAY (seems to be the
case);
- no test case uses the feature (should be easy too).
However, if the implementations consistently implement the feature, they
will infringe the patent and will get a call from the patent holder.

It seems to me that this feature may end up as "consistently implemented".
There would then be a good case for the WG to spend some time on
devising a proper workaround.
Anyone sharing my opinion that the widget update feature will be
consistenly implemented (even if optional) ?
Best regards
JC

--
JC Dufourd