Re: Widgets PAG seeks feedback on Widget Updates spec

Hey Marcos,

On Jun 30, 2009, at 11:24 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> The purpose of widget.update() is/was _not_ to  "update" the widget in
> any meaningful way:
> (...)
> In other words, it was/is a means to for a widget to ask the Widget
> User Agent if an update is available from the remote location
> addressed by the update element's href attribute (so, really it should
> have been called "checkForUpdate()" or "updateInfo = new
> UpdateChecker()", which the example begins to elude to). As it says in
> the spec, "_actually performing the update is left to the discretion
> of the widget user agent._"

Thanks for the clarification. This however does not strike me as
something that is vitally useful. Is there really a strong use case
backing this? I'd much rather see updates entirely handled by the UA
(with or without the sulphurous smell coming from Apple when one
mentions this topic) as they are generally in a better position to
handle this correctly (from within the UA context we'd have to handle
the fact that it might clash with <access>, that the response isn't
boolean, etc. and people would likely get that wrong, were they to use
this feature).

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/