Points of order on this WG

I want to raise two formal points of order about the manner in which
this WG has operated, particularly in respect to Web Storage.

1. Charter
2. Process

Firstly, no one seriously responds to proposals about things that are
officially in the WG's charter. If there is inadequate interest, then
we should get rid of the responsibility from this WG's charter. On the
other hand, if Web Storage and related matters are in this WG's
charter based on this WG's agreement, there should be feedback from
its members, and at least substantive discussions by its appointed
editors. If the editor is uninterested, then I expect the chair to
argue whether something seems to fall outside the charter's scope and
provide reasoning for the same. If none of the chairs are interested,
then we have a bigger problem. I am conveying this to my AC who may
take follow up action with the W3 Director on this matter.

On Jun 23, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:
>>
>> Would it be possible to edit the Web Storage API draft to include the
>> proposed [1] programmable HTTP cache [2] in it?
>
> I don't think it needs to be in the Web Storage specification; it
> seems
> like it would be better to have it in its own specification.

Secondly, what expertise and authority has the group vested in Ian to
summarily dismiss member submissions to a topic under active
consideration of this WG? There have been no reasons provided to
support this decision. Let's not hide behind the fig leaf that this is
not a decision but a mere opinion. We all know better.

> That way it can progress faster along the standards track.

What a nice way to say "Please go some place else and stop wasting our
time?"

On the one hand, Ian shows openness in including others' opinions and
encouraging others to edit the spec without necessarily seeking
permission from the WG. On the other hand, he doesn't allow anyone to
contribute meaningfully to the spec.

Ian needs to either demonstrate the reasoning for his arguments by
relating it to requirements this WG has agreed to or keep his opinions
to himself. Stating his opinions in this manner does not behoove
someone we call editor of this WG's deliverables. If he wants to
freely dispense his limited wisdom about this topic, then he can feel
free to do so after he steps down from the pulpit.

> The Web Storage specification is someone dead-locked right now due
> to the
> lack of consensus on whether to use SQL or not.

The WG chair went ahead with the publication of the Web Storage draft
overriding serious objections about it's direction and emphasis. While
nominally the chair and editor are following a process in terms of
publication sequence, I see little evidence of a collaborative or
group effort. We are not here in the WG to merely rubber stamp a small
group's opinions as a standard.

My problem, however, is that the WG is operating in an autocratic and
an unaccountable manner.

Firstly, arbitrary changes are made to the charter without taking into
account its member's concerns [1]
Secondly, serious objections about are overruled before publishing an
FPWD [2], including the lack of requirements to even develop a WD [3]
Thirdly, no serious discussion takes place on the WG's official
mailing list and the editor declares a proposal as deadlocked. I mean
how? ... why? who is to make the call? [4]
Fourthly, those willing to help get a rude, thanks but no thanks. [5]

This WG is dysfunctional at least as far as the recently added Web
Storage deliverable is concerned. I hope one of the chairs spends some
time thinking about how to deal with the breakdown.

Nikunj
http://o-micron.blogspot.com

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0245.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0142.html