Re: Web IDL syntax

Hi Cameron,

On Jun 19, 2009, at 06:54 , Cameron McCormack wrote:
> I’m thinking about removing some of the extended attributes in Web IDL
> and replacing them with non-extension syntax in the language.
> Originally, I had a goal of keeping compatibility with OMG IDL,
> which is
> why many features currently require extended attributes.

Not only do I think that compatibility with OMG IDL isn't useful, I
also don't think that WebIDL is currently compatible — or at the very
that as written it enforces the creation WebIDL documents that are
also well-formed OMG IDLs. One example is case-sensitivity: OMG IDL is
case-preserving but compares identifiers in a case-insensitive manner
(and I forget the scope of the comparison, but I think it's per
*module*); that's one of the reasons why some of the SVG IDLs
originally claimed conformance to nothing.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/