Re: Proposal for addition to WebStorage

BITSY is offered as a complementary technique for WebStorage not as a
replacement to SQL.

On Apr 24, 2009, at 4:03 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Nikunj Mehta wrote:
>>
>> We want to standardize interception of HTTP requests inside Web
>> browsers
>> so as to allow applications to do their own interception and
>> seamlessly
>> access data on-line and off-line. This is primarily targeted at
>> improving availability of data used by Web applications and improve
>> their responsiveness.
>
> How would you implement an offline Web mail client with such a
> mechanism?

I know how to implement a business application using this technique,
sorry I don't claim too much familiarity with Web mail.

> In particular, how would you maintain the "read"/"unread" state of
> individual e-mail messages, or move e-mails between folders as the
> user
> drags them around, or search for messages from a particular user
> received
> between a set of dates?

Each message has a network representation, and a URL to go along. So
while you are manipulating its attributes, you are essentially
updating that representation. Of course, you can build a structured
database (possibly accessed using SQL) to enable the navigation and
query mechanisms you are interested in. This database can be
maintained by the proposed interceptors, thus creating a database that
is only read by applications and updated by the synchronization
library. All updates to data are seen as network requests as opposed
to SQL UPDATE statements.