Re: Web Storage Scope and Charter

On Apr 23, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:18:40 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> The draft got published today, so it's too late to change the high-
>> profile version of the spec. Rather than add this message, I'd like
>> to just come
>> to some sort of conclusion on the issue. What are the various
>> proposals
>> that exist to solve this problem other than SQL, and how willing
>> are the
>> browser vendors to implement those solutions?
>
> FWIW, Opera is primarily interested in implementing the APIs
> currently in the specification (including the SQL API). Specifying
> the specifics of the SQL dialect in due course would be good though,
> but doing that does not seem very controversial and I would assume
> is a requirement for going to Last Call.

I am puzzled that you feel that specifying the semantics for the SQL
dialect would be straightforward. We have no experience of using more
than a single database implementation for WebStorage. Its kind of
interesting that the WG is attempting to standardize that which has no
more than a single implementation.

Nikunj