Re: Do we need to rename the Origin header?

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Bil Corry <bil@corry.biz> wrote:
> Can we please include the Origin header for all same-origin requests, including GET and HEAD?  Or is there a compelling reason why not do to so?
>
> Also, would there be value in having Origin sent for *all* requests, and if populating Origin is prohibited for that request (e.g. cross-origin GET), it sends "null" as the value?

In order to make the Origin header a workable CSRF defense for GET,
we'd have to send "null" on cross-origin GET requests (otherwise the
attacker can suppress the header by making a GET request from another
origin).  However, this is inconsistent with CORS.

Adam