Re: [widgets] dropping Asynchronous HTTP Requests and Storage

Marcos,

A consistent preferences interface is crucial for widget
interoperability; most of the widget platforms surveyed in the
Landscape document [1] have a Preferences API - and have been pretty
consistent in how they've designed it. Its not exactly radical
standardisation practice to take 5 existing implementations and
harmonize them in a standard - in fact, not doing so is downright odd!

A weak "you can use storage if you're on HTML5 otherwise do whatever
you want about user's settings" is not a good solution - for widget
developers this means you're going to have to build your widget
differently for each UA and its native storage system. In which case,
there isn't really much point in using a standard in the first place,
right?

(Actually, what I'm sure many UA's would do in this case is adopt the
approach taken by Opera, Nokia and Apple as the de-facto standard for
Widget APIs.)

As for XHR - I don't think anyone would want to seriously drop this in
real life. Unless your UA really is only designed to run clock and
calculator widgets :-) Besides, its only a SHOULD not a MUST, right?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-widgets-land-20080414/#apis